Sunday, September 30, 2012

Movie Review

One movie that I would put on my list for counselors to watch is The Secret Life of Bees.  This movie follows the life of a young girl in the American South in the 1960s who has lost her mother and has a an abusive relationship with her father.  She seeks refuge in the home of three black sisters that had been very close to her mother.  The movie also deals with race relations in the South during the 1960s.  I think the themes of child abuse, race relations and the loss of a parent are universal and timeless.




The second movie that I would recommend is Mean Girls.  Although this movie takes a satirical approach to cliques in high schools, I think that it also does a really good job of focusing on issues that teenage girls deal with.  This movie uses comedy to illustrate the challenges of teenagers in new schools and the negative consequences of popularity, peer pressure and social cliques.  



2 comments:

  1. I'm going to definitely watch "The Secret Life of Bees". I love movies with a historical context. Also, I am surprised by the number of students who have lost parents at a tender age. I think this movie will be extremely beneficial to me as a counselor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both of these movies!! Great choices! I watch mean girls when I've had a bad day and it still cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete