Sunday, September 9, 2012

Week 3 Reflection

The thing that has been reinforced this week in my practicum experience is that it is difficult for counselors to plan to do things at specific times.  Although I can plan with my supervisor what we will do during the week, very often she is called away to "put out fires" or deal with unforeseen issues that arise.  I imagine that this lack of predictability could be frustrating to counselors because there are tasks that they need to accomplish, but they have trouble finding a chunk of uninterrupted time.  The thing I've noticed with the two counselors that I am working with is that these counselors do not get discouraged or aggravated that unexpected issues must be taken care of even if they had previous plans.    Their focus is always on what is best for the students that they work with.  When choosing specific students for me to counsel, my supervisor was very excited that I would get to work with these students because she does not always get to give them the time that they deserve because of the unforeseen issues.

3 comments:

  1. One of the things that I have found amazing during my week of counseling is that the counselors in our building are expert at adapting to whatever situation that arises. The phones are constantly ringing, whether from a parent concerned about their child, from teachers concerned about students, or from administrators calling regarding scheduling issues, testing, etc. Counselors definitely wear many hats and, undoubtedly, have to be the most flexible people in a school building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had a similar experience this week while working with my supervising counselor as well. She has been very flexible with working with my schedule and what I need to complete but at the same time she is very busy each day juggling several different duties. I am thankful that she has been so understanding and is working me into that busy schedule she has as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does get aggravating when you do not have time to help all your students. Friday, I had an unexpected incident happen that took almost all day to deal with. It was frustrating because I had 10-15 students sign up to see me that I did not have time to see. You just have to take a deep breath and see them as soon as you can. I enjoy the fact my day is never the same. It keeps my job interesting. I just wish I had time to address all of my students!

    ReplyDelete