Sunday, November 25, 2012

Reflection of Yourself

My counseling experience during practicum this semester can best be described as coming full circle.  This is my 7th year as a teacher.  Before I was a teacher, I spent three years working at a community mental health center as a case manager for children with severe emotional disorders that were at risk of being removed from their homes.  It was this experience that made me want to pursue my counseling certification in the first place.  As I completed counseling courses and begin my practicum in August, I think I was much too focused on applying theories and following certain strategies in counseling sessions.  As a result, I was being distracted from helping students by my concern to apply a particular theory in the correct way.  At a certain point this semester, I realized that my efforts were not successful.  I can't be sure how the students I was counseling felt, but I was distracted and the therapeutic relationship was not genuine and authentic.

Since then, I have tried to express unconditional personal regard for the students that I counsel, regardless of social, emotional or academic needs.  I have focused less on applying theories and more on active listening and problem-solving.  I say it a lot, but I might be wrong in my thinking.  My perspective has evolved into the notion that those who need counseling rarely have family or friends with whom they can talk about issues, conflicts and concerns and get supportive feedback.  Because of this vacuum, these individuals seek out professionals to fill that role.  In the school setting, students lack positive adult role models that they can trust.  This is the void that school counselors must fill.  For the most part, my students don't need me to apply a theory or engage in complex behavior modification.  Above all else, my students need support and someone who will listen and not judge them.  I'm not sure if I'm way off base because I have participated in many counseling classes that focus on techniques and theories, but in my experience with students this semester my perspective has evolved.  

2 comments:

  1. Many of today's students are lacking in good role models. Some of them just want someone to listen to them without judgment. Every school needs one good counselor who is focused on individual and group counseling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also very stressed at the beginning of the year about knowing which theory to use while working with students and felt unsure of myself. I think that what you said about having unconditional positive regard for all students is what will benefit the students the most. You are correct, students do need an adult role model that they can talk to and know they can trust.

    ReplyDelete